Today's sophisticated workplace demands high-tech professionals who can successfully put their knowledge and skills to work in the dynamic field of electrical engineering technology. Our bachelor's degree program of Engineering Technology in Electrical is designed to provide you a comprehensive set of skills as an engineering technologist in various sectors.
The program blends minds-on theory and hands-on applications in preparing you to be expertise in electrical engineering field. You will not only learn about the fundamental concepts such as electrical circuits, industrial control, instrumentation, renewable energy, power generation, transmission and distribution; but also will learn to construct, test and analyze electrical circuits and systems using up-to-date engineering tools.
Prior to graduation, you will undergo a 24-week industrial training attachment at a real workplace. All these wide range of subjects are designed to advance both your technical knowledge and soft skills in communications, management, technopreneurship and professional practice.
The strengths of this bachelor's programme are:
- Fully accreditation and approval by relevant authorities.
- Hands-on approach with high percentage of practical work to support fundamental knowledge.
- Teaching-and-learning approach is both conventional and interactive.
- Academic staff with industrial experience and members of professional bodies.
- Exposure to various leading edge technologies in the areas of control and instrumentations, power and energy, industrial automation, etc.
- Versatile programme where students may pursue study at masters and PhD levels in many different engineering fields
- Options to add values with Professional Certifications
The course structure in the Bachelor of Engineering Technology is designed for students to learn and study electrical engineering technology subjects in a smooth progression. During the first 2 years or 4 semesters, students learn basic underpinning knowledge in engineering and mathematics through courses such as Circuit Theory, Network Analysis and Engineering Mathematics. With a strong foundation in these subjects, students progress to advanced courses such as Control System, Power System, and Introduction to Measurement and Instrumentation.
In the next 3 semesters, students begin to take courses in specialized field which offer specific applications of the knowledge and skills gained in previous subjects. Among the subjects offered are Electrical Machine & Drives, Power Quality, Electrical Systems in Building, and Power Electronics. Some electives subjects are also offered including Industrial Control, Robotics and Intelligent Systems and Renewable Energy, which students may take depending on their interest.
In the final semester, students will undergo an Industrial Training or Intra, at the workplace of their choice. Here, they will have the opportunity to put the knowledge and skills learn at UniKL BMI to practice in a real industrial environment.
Successful graduates in this field may find employment opportunities in energy, oil & gas and manufacturing industries. In these industries, graduates may join the workforces in product development, testing, quality control, installation, sales, distribution, field service, maintenance and research.
Additionally, graduates may also work or become technopreneurs in engineering related fields such as agro-technology, entertainment & event management and small & medium industries. Those interested in teaching or research may continue their studies in Master of Engineering Technology or Master of Engineering, and PhD.
Upon completion, BET Electrical Degree holders may register as an Engineering Technologist and join the industrial workforce in many sectors such as:
- Manufacturing (Production technologist, Quality Control technicians, Logistic engineer)
- Oil and Gas (Control technician, Instrumentation technologist)
- Research and development (Design technologist, product developer)
- Education (Lecturer, technician, academic executive)
- Technical service providers (Consultant, engineering contractors)
- Engineering product trading (Suppliers, Vendors, Marketing executive, Product engineer)
- Technopreneurship (Innovator, Designer, Entrepreneur, Motivator)
UniKL BMI Electrical Technology Section has collaborated with several institutions and industries in an effort to strengthen students expertise in certain targeted areas. The collaboration gives students the option to add value to their Bachelor's degree with additional professional certifications. Hence, students are becoming more marketable and their employment prospect is widened.
Among Professional Certifications being offered are:
- PLC Servicing and Programming in collaboration with Siemens
- Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) in collaboration with National Instruments
- AutoCAD Engineering Drawing in collaboration with Autodesk
R&D and Awards
Research is an important activity which complement our teaching and learning practices. There are three basic areas of research being conducted at the Electrical Technology section, namely 1) Instrumentation and Control Systems, 2) Renewable Energy and Power Systems, and 3) Power Electronics.
The page is under construction.